Select Entry Academic Learning
The Select Entry Academic Learning (SEAL) Program addresses the needs of those students who are of high intellectual potential and display a range of exceptional abilities across their studies.
English, Humanities, Mathematics & Science
The Sandringham College SEAL program extends and accelerates students in English, Humanities, Mathematics and Science.
It explicitly builds critical and creative thinking skills, and includes philosophical and independent inquiry and problem-solving at each year level. SEAL students participate in a range of extension and special extracurricular activities throughout the year and are expected to participate in at least one of the College’s arts, sports, student voice or leadership programs.
The Sandringham College SEAL program:
- Provides gifted education for all students in English, Mathematics, Science and Humanities
- Covers traditional subjects in a shorter time and encourages abstract and critical thinking
- Is designed to enhance academic, creative and leadership potential Enables students to interact with their intellectual peers, without compromising social relationships and development
- Recognises and responds to the specific differences, interests and needs of High Intellectual Potential students
- Caters for students’ social and emotional development by providing support and extension in to the VCE
- Staffs the program with specifically selected teachers, chosen for their passion, superior teaching ability, their skill with challenging and engaging gifted students
Sandringham College’s SEAL program is structured to cater to the differing needs of exceptional students.
SEAL Applications for 2024
Entry to the SEAL program at Year 7 level is by application and entrance exam.
The 2024 SEAL entry examination will be held 9am-12pm Saturday 5th August 2023 at our Bluff Rd campus Discovery Centre. Applications to sit the SEAL entry examination close 28th July 2023.
DOCUMENTS REQUESTED TO SUPPORT APPLICATION (by 4th August)
Applications for the 2024 Year 7 SEAL program will be submitted via the Edutest portal and the following documents are requested to support each application –
- Grade 5 NAPLAN report
- Most recent academic report
- Student statement (in their own words) indicating why they would like to join the SEAL program and what would make them a good candidate
- Letter of recommendation from the student’s current Grade 6 teacher, School Principal or leader of community activity
In accordance with the Department of Education Placement Policy “Student tests or entry interviews must not occur prior to Year 7 placement offers, including offers based on curriculum grounds.”
Therefore, if you are considering applying for the SEAL program at Sandringham College you cannot apply unless your student is offered enrolment at Sandringham College for Year 7 in 2024.
For more information please contact us (03) 8599 0500.
Please note applications for the 2023 SEAL program have now closed.